Monday, October 12, 2015

WEEK 63, October 5, 2015: Meet some of Amanda's Danish friends, Rock Ban Name from Conference, Living Prophets, and TWO MORE TRANSFERS?!



Danish Word of the Week: Mennesker (MEN-esk-eh) PEOPLE
Winning Conference Rock Band Name: Sin Sick World
 [Note from Jill, Amanda's mom:  Years ago, Alec (Amanda's dad) started a contest to help keep the kids interested and listening to conference: Listen for catch phrases that could double as names for rock bands.  Amulon & the Wicked Priests, Nattering Na-bombs, etc.  Over the years, many have been recorded in our family journal.  Sin Sick World is Amanda's entry from October's Gen Conf.]

I just want to tell you about some of my friends this week.
George's Baptism

GEORGE: His baptism was so sweet! He has gained such a big place in the hearts of the members in Horsens. Him and his mother both. I'm so grateful that I got to be there. George is one of the smartest people I have ever met. Not just academically; he has a lot of wisdom. He's been through a lot, and I have never met anyone so young who knows the Savior so personally. George taught me that faith and gratitude for the Savior really can carry us peacefully through any trial.

Basically the entire Ward at George's baptism
SARA (still changing her name): I talked about her a little while ago, she is the 17 year old in Horsens who is going to get baptized as soon as she turns 18 in a couple of months. She was also at George's baptism, and she sat by me and told me everything that had happened in her life since I left. She is completely changed! She LOVES the gospel; I almost started crying as she sat there and told me how much she has come to just love and understand repentance and the Savior and the commandments. She told me, 'I don't have a strong family, but because of the gospel I can create one for myself. I want to have an eternal family!' That's what it's all about!  Potential!  We can be happy right now if we decide to be! I will never stop being grateful for that rainy day when Sister Perkins and I decided to turn our bikes around and try knocking her neighborhood one more time-and finally found her and her mom. There really are people ready for the gospel.

MICHAEL: We had an amazing lesson with him about repentance. It turns out that of all of the things we teach in the church, this is what he relates to the most! He has already changed a bunch in his life, and now he's adding a gospel perspective to it. He came to conference on Sunday and told us that since our lesson, he had been praying for help and for strength with the things he's trying to change in his life, and he said that it's been helping him a lot. He's so wonderful!

Ahhh my travel itinerary just popped up in my inbox! WEIRD!!! This is not happening. HOW DO I ONLY HAVE TWO TRANSFERS LEFT. It's fine. I'm fine. Oh geez.

Anyways, last person...

SOFIE: We watched Conference with her. She's a member in our ward and possibly one of my favorite people ever. This woman is a wonder. She lost her leg from the knee down when she was younger, but she has not let that stop her from anything in life. She is a trained opera singer, voice teacher, directs the best choir in Esbjerg, THE MOST INCREDIBLE COOK and she teaches the missionaries her tricks so...hopefully some of that will rub off on me, and she can knit anything you ask her to. And she's brilliant. Talking to her about the church is mind blowing sometimes. It was way fun watching conference with her. She had a running commentary the entire time, especially when the MoTAB sang. We helped her make this cheese soup that is literally the best soup I've ever had in my life. In her words, 'It tastes like angels sing.'

I love General Conference. We still haven't watched the last session-we're going to get all caught up on that today. As I was listening, I just kept thinking of how grateful I am that we have a living prophet and apostles on the earth today. This has become one of my favorite scriptures about prophets:

Ephesians 4:11-15
11 And he (Christ) gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
 12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
 13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:
 14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;
 15 But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ.

I love you all so much! Thanks for the great examples and great strength you are to me! Have a wonderful week!! Kiss Ella for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment