Monday, September 29, 2014

WEEK 8ish: It's humility, ain't it? Humility is the key to inspiration. CAN I WRITE THAT DOWN?



Danish word of the week: Dejligt (die-leet) It means whatever you want it to mean. They literally use this word to describe everything good. It means, wonderful, nice, great, lovely, delightful...it's one of those words where if you don't know what to say you can just say “Dejligt!” and as long as they're talking about something happy, they'll think you know exactly what's going on. It's great. It's one of my favorite words.

Ok-training. As far as I know, I'm not training. Yet. None of the Visas came through for the group that's leaving the MTC, so they're all getting reassigned to Arizona for a little bit. BUT, some of them could have their VISAS come in next week and then they would just do transfers a week late and then I still might be a trainer...or not. Who knows?! Not me, that's for darn sure. Basically I have no idea what's going on. Neither does President. All I know is that my companion is leaving me next Monday and I don't know what to do with my life after that. She is my everything. I'll keep you posted on that. I'm not panicking I'm fine; it's fine. I'm fine.

Also, no one is allowed to say that people don't get baptized in Denmark anymore! Our mission had five baptisms this weekend! It was fantastic. One of them was the man the Sisters we live with have been teaching, and another was baptized into our ward. It was a great day. The hastening of the work is happening all over the world-even way over here in Denmark! J

We had a really fun service project on Saturday. Our whole stake volunteered at a plejehjem (a nursing home) and it was honestly one of the best service projects I've ever been a part of! It was a blast. They had electric tandem bikes, a ton of crafts, baking, music (one of the old men was a jazz pianist so he tore it up on the piano), and everyone was just so happy that we were there. We had a great turn-out. Søster Handley and I made friends with an old lady and her daughter who was visiting her for the day. I made her a necklace and we ate lunch together. They were so fun. They were impressed with the church and how many people had shown up to help. They asked a lot of questions about missionary work and were very nice about my Danish. I was just so proud of our Stake! Service is such a great way to connect with people in the community and we really had a fun day with all of them.

Funny story though-one of the stations that Søster Handley and I were assigned to work was called <stol gymnastik> which means...apparently...chair exercise. But it sounds a lot like gymnastics, doesn't it? We were very confused. We went in to watch a class one morning to get an idea of what that meant, and the physical therapist at the nursing home explained that it was basically children's games - just anything to get them moving around a little bit and having fun. There were about 15 of them sitting in a circle and they played “keep the balloon in the air” and played with one of those parachute things that they bring into elementary gym classes. Simple things like that. So that's what we planned for. When we were at that station, there was an old man there who was just not having it. We were warming up-sitting down and stretching our arms and things like that, and he just kept asking “what are we doing?” ... he was not amused by the balloon game, it was just going really badly. And so finally I asked him if he had a favorite sport, and he told us he was a gymnast. Like in the Olympics. stol GYMNASTIK. He thought that we would be doing gymnastics, and he just could not understand why he was sitting in a chair bouncing a balloon back and forth with a bunch of American kids. So. That was hilarious.

We went to Vor Frue Kirke (Our Lady's Church) last P-Day. That's the church that has the original Kristus statue in it, along with statues of all of the original 12 apostles. It was SO beautiful! The man who created those statues all of those years ago was way more in tune than I think any of us realize. Right above the Kristus statue were the words, “Denne er min søn, den elskelige, hør ham” (This is my son, the beloved, hear Him!) Almost the exact same words as were spoken in the first vision. Coincidence? I think not. I got chills when I saw that! It was a powerful experience to be in that room. The statue of the Apostle Peter shows him holding a set of keys, a symbol for the keys to the church or the Priesthood keys. Elder Bednar went to Vor Frue Kirke before he had that meeting with us last month and he testified to us that Thomas S. Monson holds those same Priesthood keys today.

Original Christus Statue

I'm so grateful to be on a mission in Denmark. So many miracles are happening every day. Most of them are small, many of them I will never see the full results of, but I know that they happen. We all have a much greater influence on the people around us than we can fully realize. I know that this is where I'm supposed to be right now.

It sounds like everything is going well at home! I love you all so much and think of you often. I'm so grateful to have such a fabulous family. Keep being your wonderful, hilarious selves.

Have a great week! Talk to you soon!
Love, Søster VO

No comments:

Post a Comment