Tuesday, August 26, 2014

WEEK 4: Sister Van Orden is the District Mom (something like District Leader but not really)



Probably my favorite Danish phrase I've learned so far: at tage en morfar. (at tay-uh een more-far) Means: to take a nap. But literally translated means: to take a grandpa. I died. I love this language.

This week, I officially became the district Mom. I am like 2 years older than all of the Elders, and they're all dating someone, so they all come to me when they need dating advice. It's hilarious. Apparently I'm wise. :) I also brought a bag of cereal from the breakfast line to sacrament meeting on Sunday to keep everyone quiet. 

I saw Adam again this week! We sing in the MTC choir together so it's fun to see him on the regular. :) This week we bore our testimonies to each other in our mission languages! It was such a proud cousin moment! That's something that my companions and I have been doing more of lately. During our language study time we walk around MTC campus and find people to practice bearing our testimonies to. One of us speaks the language, and someone else translates. It's really fun because usually people want to bear their testimonies back to us. There are so many languages happening on this campus! It's amazing.

Okay. Crazy thing-we get our travel plans to Denmark on FRIDAY! As in-2 days from now. I can't believe how fast this is coming!

So I heard that Robin Williams died. Want to know how I heard that? In the sack breakfast line, the girl working the cash register wrote "Robin Williams died yesterday at age 63."  on a paper bag and propped it up against the register. This is how we get our news of the outside world. A paper bag and a sharpie. 

This week, we have been focusing on teaching by the spirit. I've learned so much about how important it is to make sure that we have the spirit with us always. As someone who has grown up in the church, I feel like I'm pretty familiar with all church doctrine. If someone has a question, I know how to answer it. I don't know everything, but I have a pretty solid foundation. BUT-while that's important, I have learned that I can't rely on my own knowledge when I'm teaching an investigator. I might intellectually know the answer to one of their questions, but the Spirit knows THEM. The spirit knows how they need to be taught. I could give them all of the right answers in the world, but if I'm not listening to the spirit to know how and when to present that information, it won't mean anything to them. It requires a lot of humility to put aside what you know and let the Spirit speak.

D&C84:85 Neither take ye thought beforehand what ye shall say; but treasure up in your minds continually the words of life, and it shall be given you in the very hour that portion that shall be meted unto every man.  

The Spirit is an amazing gift! We have the opportunity to have a member of the Godhead with us at all times! When we are humble enough to let the Spirit guide us instead of relying on what we think we know, we can be assured that Heavenly Father is guiding our lives. We can have so much peace. Our Heavenly Father won't let us fail. I think Gordon B. Hinckley said, "We were not put on this earth to fail, but to succeed gloriously." 

Here's a challenge for all of you! Every week before church, write down a question or two that you have. Take it to church with you. I promise that your questions will be answered! I tried it this Sunday, (I brought 3 questions that were each very different from each other), and each question was answered in multiple ways throughout the meeting! It was so cool. It's a great way to practice learning from the spirit. Plus, it makes those 3 hour blocks on Sundays more personal. Try it! You won't be disappointed.

This is my favorite scripture about the Holy Ghost. This is your gift! Use it! It will bring you nothing but blessings. D&C 8: 2-5 

 2 Yea, behold, I will tell you in your mind and in your heart, by the Holy Ghost, which shall come upon you and which shall dwell in your heart.
 3 Now, behold, this is the spirit of revelation; behold, this is the spirit by which Moses brought the children of Israel through the Red Sea on dry ground.
 4 Therefore this is thy gift; apply unto it, and blessed art thou, for it shall deliver you out of the hands of your enemies, when, if it were not so, they would slay you and bring your soul to destruction.
 5 Oh, remember these words, and keep my commandments. Remember, this is your gift.

I love you all! Thank you so much for the letters and emails. It makes me so happy to hear about the great things you're doing. Missionaries live for mail. Especially in the MTC. So thanks :) 

Have a fantastic week!!
~Sister Van Orden

No comments:

Post a Comment